Lake Wylie 04/20/2017

Lake Wylie 04/20/2017

Postby Harold » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:03 pm

I fished Lake Wylie Thursday with Austin. We had a fun day getting our lines stretched with 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 pound largemouth. We caught around 25 on a shaky head. A Zoom Green Pumpkin Red and a Black Trick Worm did the job. The Black Magnum Finesse Worm worked good as well. Water temps were in the upper 60's to the mid 70's. Looks like the post spawn bite is just around the corner. We did see some pretty large groups of shad in shallow water. We worked a spinnerbait and buzzbait around some of these areas but couldn't get bit. We weren't bothered with many fishermen in our areas yesterday so that was a good thing. I'm looking forward to getting back on the water next week. Here is a pic of one of my fish from yesterday. I kept hoping for a bigger bite that didn't happen and it was getting late, so I got Austin to snap a pic of this one.

Good Fishin'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harold
Contributer

Re: Lake Wylie 04/20/2017

Postby Richard » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:04 pm

Fished from bank Sat night down at bb ramp 4/22/17 and kinda same thing Harold except I only caught two. The bucks were chasing bait at the bank right in front of me under the lights . I started out shakey head but could not keep from getting snagged , do you have that problem with shakey head Harold ?
Tried a chatterbait , BB nothing . Had them chase a rattle trap but not eat, had one bite the spinnerbait right in front of me but spit it back out. Tried some t- rig baby brush hogs and lizards but nothing. Finnally tried a lavender shad colored cb and caught one and was like duh ! Only problem was TX guys kept coming up with no etiquette and casting right where I was fishing I mean one guy literally crossed over my line and I had to get us untangled . However tried to be the better man and react spiritually so no drama , I am Irish and Nicaraguan and that mix can get real ugly so have to pray !!!
Oh yeah my friend caught one t-rig speed craw so he was happy ! Tough nite and I guess the front turned em off , but I needed that after working all week if you know what I mean.
Richard
Contributer

Postby Harold » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:38 pm

I occasionally get hung and lose my shaky head but not very often. Most of the time I can get close enough in the boat to pull straight up or a little behind where the jig is hung to get it out of the crack. If I was on the bank that would be more difficult. You might try a lighter jig like a 1/8 oz unless that is what you are using now. A bullet sinker would work better but you lose the ability for your worm to stand up. When fishing rip rap your going to get hung sometimes.
Harold
Contributer

Postby Rusty » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:49 am

good to hear you guys getting back to fishing :)
There is NO substitute for time on the water!

Protect your Rod with The Rod Jimmy!
Rusty
Site Admin

Postby Richard » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:40 pm

Thanks
Richard
Contributer

Return to Catawba River Chain