Broad River around Columbia

Broad River around Columbia

Postby StuTide » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:17 pm

My daughter and I floated the BROAD today and had a blast! First time we had done that down there. Trophy smallmouth fishery. We have always gone to VA / WVA to smallmouth fish and had no idea there was that quality of smallies down there! Two biggest were 4 and 4.5 lbs and a nice largemouth as a kicker. Awesome day. Spinnerbaits and speedcraws were the ticket!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuTide

Re: Broad River around Columbia

Postby lwhinson » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:01 pm

Looks like fun stu! My wife and I went to the Columbia zoo around the 4th of July and the river that runs through there I think is the saluda. It looked like a good sm river. I had no idea there were smallmouth like that in the broad river! I've heard of smallmouth in wylie up river but I've never caught any. At one time the state record smallmouth came out of the broad up around Lockhart way back when.I don't know if the record is still good. LH
lwhinson

Postby StuTide » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:46 pm

The Broad is sure FULL of quality smallmouth - that's for sure! Only challenge is the crazy river flow from the pump back form the electric company. Its flow and level change drastically at a moments notice. If you google the USGS stats on the broad (near Columbia) you can see what I mean. Really crazy fluctuations. Like in the lake (Monticello). Before today I had no idea smallies could live in that warmer water through the year. They have done extremely well since stocking. They are like spots on steroids!!
StuTide

Postby Rusty » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:49 am

great pics, looks like a great time. i havent been but have heard stories of GREAT smallmouth fishing on the Broad River.
There is NO substitute for time on the water!

Protect your Rod with The Rod Jimmy!
Rusty
Site Admin

Return to Saluda River Chain