Jig Fishing

Discuss fishing techniques here.

Re: Jig Fishing

Postby Rusty » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:56 pm

just keep after it
There is NO substitute for time on the water!

Protect your Rod with The Rod Jimmy!
Rusty
Site Admin

Postby LTTrick » Thu May 15, 2014 7:20 pm

I think I started to gain confidence in a jig when I realized how versatile it really is. I always just threw it out and hopped it up 2 or 3 times and let it settle. All the way back to the boat. I just threw a green pumpkin jig with a green pumpkin trailer or black and blue for jig and trailer. When I moved down south, it didn't take long to figure out that everyone does that. Now when I am jig fishing I am not just trying to imitate a crawdad. It's a bluegill or a big shad and a crawdad. I swim it, hop it, rip it, fish it like a shakyhead, drag it, buzz it on top, etc. There really isn't a wrong way to fish it other than understanding there might be a wrong time to fish that type of retrieve or there is a better color option. Certain times of the year like fall, I like throwing a white swim jig with various trailers to imitate shad, or post spawn mimicking bluegill. Then start thinking about how much color the bluegill have a different times the year. When I start seeing little bluegill around docks, I pick up baits that imitate little bluegill.

The biggest thing for me to gain confidence was fishing jigs with the correct equipment to include the line, the knot, how the jig is made, what kind of hook does it have, how can I adjust my trailers color and shape and size for the time of year. I like to match the jig also to how cold or warm the water is, and what color the water is. Sure, black and blue and green pumpkin work, but how can I make little twists to those staple colors that get me more bites. When I am trying to imitate a bluegill and the water is a little darker I like black and blue body but I might put a rage craw in dark green pumpkin that will displace a lot of water. Or, on the other hand the water is really clear, I might downsize that jig and put a light green pumpkin body with a little blue in the trailer that doesn't displace as much water like a small twin tail. I let the conditions, the season, and the fish tell me what to use.
LTTrick

Postby Rusty » Fri May 16, 2014 7:46 am

great info from LTTrick, i would just say that you have to keep throwing it, getting bit will build the confidence. try to get it into the hardest spots to reach, if you think "i'll never get a fish out of there" thats exactly where you should throw it :)
There is NO substitute for time on the water!

Protect your Rod with The Rod Jimmy!
Rusty
Site Admin

Return to Techniques