Drop Shot for Suspended Fish

Discuss fishing techniques here.

Drop Shot for Suspended Fish

Postby LTTrick » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:08 am

I wanted to get some takes on Drop Shot fishing since it is my least confidence technique...

Scenario #1:

I often want to use a drop shot around bridges for the vertical presentation when I can mark fish around the pylons. Here is the thing, went I want to fish a drop shot, I feel like the weight needs to be on the bottom, and you then adjust where the bait is. Usually I have making the bait 6" anywhere to 24" from the sinker. Let's say the fish are suspend off the bottom 8 feet around the pylon and the depth of the water is 25 feet. Does anyone count the bait down to be in the zone of the fish and suspend the bait and sinker off the bottom 8 feet to be in the zone of the fish? Or does anyone watch the bait fall to where the fish are on their electronics? but don't let it hit the bottom?

Scenario #2:

There is a large brush pile or tree that comes off the bottom in about 25 feet of water. The fish are suspended in the tops of the tree. The tops of the tree is 6 or so feet off the bottom. That makes the fish in again, about 8 feet. Does anyone count the drop shot down and let the sinker just get to the tops of the tree and put the bait 6" from the sinker? This isn't how I would normally do it, but sometimes they just wont hit a big worm when I swim it out of there or when you are stroking a jig off the bottom.

Rod, line, knots, baits... etc... I get that.

Thanks, LT
LTTrick

Re: Drop Shot for Suspended Fish

Postby Rusty » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:01 pm

i just watch the bait go down on the sonar and stop it at the fish.
There is NO substitute for time on the water!

Protect your Rod with The Rod Jimmy!
Rusty
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:13 pm

Me too. A lot like playing a video game. Fun to catch schooling fish this way. When you find schoolers but they are not busting the surface, you can catch them doing what Rusty said. There are some cool you tube videos that show you this technique and how to set up your sonar. I have sonar and down imaging. I normally use sonar for this and not down imaging.

Rusty - What sonar style do you use for this?
Dave

Postby Rusty » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:48 am

just regular 2D sonar
There is NO substitute for time on the water!

Protect your Rod with The Rod Jimmy!
Rusty
Site Admin

Postby LTTrick » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:08 pm

I just got the HDS 12 Gen II Touch yesterday with SS. Looking to step up the DS game.
LTTrick

Return to Techniques