Line for cranking

Discuss fishing equipment here.

Line for cranking

Postby andy » Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 pm

What brand line do folks like for cranking. I have been using Fluro but not happy with the sublime reaction as I am finding it us breaking off on casts.

Thanks
andy

Re: Line for cranking

Postby Rusty » Wed May 28, 2014 6:07 am

im using 10 or 12lb clear big game. ive used fluro before for this application but damn its costly to put 150-200yds of line on each reel(x5) just to have it not cast that well. one thing i will say with 10lb line i will occasionally break the line while trying to cast like youre describing, you figure the crankbaits we're throwing weigh almost an ounce, are on the end of an 8' rod that we are whipping almost as hard as we can.......10lb line is gonna break sometimes. just my .02
There is NO substitute for time on the water!

Protect your Rod with The Rod Jimmy!
Rusty
Site Admin

Postby Travis » Wed May 28, 2014 10:04 am

I use 10lb P Line floro for most of my deep cranking. Been using 12lb with 10XDs. I also break it sometimes however not as much as other floros that I have tried. I was skeptical about using floro for a few years. Just couldn't justify the cost, until I used it. I have used several different floro lines, but P Line is really the only one that I have confidence in. I can put floro on my reels and use it most of the year (it don't break down like mono), if I don't break off much. With mono I was replacing line ever few months or before every tournament. I was always wondering if I should or shouldn't change my line before every fishing trip. Now if I have line on my reels, I don't have to worry about it. Also the sensitivity is much better with floros. I can actually feel my crankbait on those long cast. Just my thoughts.
Travis

Postby tdekoker » Wed May 28, 2014 3:33 pm

I agree, either 10 or 12 pound fluoro. I also had a hard time justifying the cost until I used it....having the line sink definetely added to the ability to "feel" the lure making contact with structure, etc.
tdekoker

Postby ncbass123 » Wed May 28, 2014 4:33 pm

I use 10 lb big game clear too. Check the line every 100 casts or after you go through some cover to make sure your line isn't all beat up. If it is, just retie. It is better than watching your crank break off midcast and go flying into never-never land.
ncbass123

Postby lwhinson » Wed May 28, 2014 5:45 pm

I completely agree on the big game vs flouro. Big game doesn't break midway on one of those hard casts. I gave up on cranking flouro. even though it has it's advantages the big game is twice as tough doesn't take a surgeon to tie a knot in and costs very little compared to flouro. 10 or 12 works good for me. Lh
lwhinson

Postby Richard » Wed May 28, 2014 6:37 pm

I have used the green big game it sure is strong but a lot of memory to me. I have not tried the clear yet, don't quote me on this but I think Rusty said the clear has less memory than the green. I just put some Sunline fluorocarbon on today and going to try tonight. I haven't used fluorocarbon much at due to cost.
Richard

Postby duckvador1 » Wed May 28, 2014 11:44 pm

Seaguar red label 10 lb test is what I use. It seems to do well as far as strength and casting. U get deeper and better feel with floro.
Matt
duckvador1

Postby Richard » Thu May 29, 2014 10:29 am

Well I used sunline super fluorocarbon last night and I give 5 stars on sensitivity, strength, and casting and I did spray line conditioner however after using cb for short time the line was frayed. I was pissed and I like how it says on the package Super abrasion resistance for fishing around the covers, made in Japan for quality you can trust. Is it me or is this some bs, did I do something wrong ?
Richard

Postby Rusty » Thu May 29, 2014 10:33 am

its all gonna fray on the rocks but the difference is i got almost 1000yds for $8
There is NO substitute for time on the water!

Protect your Rod with The Rod Jimmy!
Rusty
Site Admin

Next

Return to Equipment